If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Stuttgart, Germany

On Sunday Jared and I headed to Stuttgart, Germany to pick up a visa for him. (It's a long story that I rather not get into.) We decided to go and stay for a night. Here's the train station in Zürich. Similar to Grand Central where you wait for your train to show on the board which platform it will be leaving from. Except at Grand Central and Penn Station they show it 10 mins. before and when it pops up everyone all of a sudden runs to the platform knocking everyone in sight just so you can get a seat. It's pretty hilarious. They're a bit more courteous here in CH.

Jared is preparing for a relaxing 2hr 45 min ride through the countryside.


So am I. We were complete with dinner and snacks.



Jared quickly fell asleep. Isn't he so freakin' cute?


While I wrote in my journal, (a Sunday ritual.)



Here is the Swiss Consulate. Not too impressive. Just a small room.





I wanted to go down the tiny elevator which we barely fit in with our backpacks on. We are happy to get Jared's visa.













I love silhouette shots.













Here is a church that we passed by a few times while walking around, I love the windows and Jared mentioned that it's probably a spiral staircase.








Stuttgart is home to the Mercedes-Benz museum. Unfortunately we didn't get to go.











While we were waiting 3 hrs for the Swiss Consulate to put a sticker in Jared's passport we wondered around and found a nice park with giant chess pieces. So we played game. I don't have to tell you won.



Moroni on top of an LDS temple? Nope, just a deer.


To our delight a fellow Stanford ward member, Angie, was living not too far from Stuttgart for a while and came to meet us. She speaks fluent German so that was helpful when we wanted to order some lunch...a got old German wienerschnitzel.












Jared got a curry one. We thought it would be a curry flavored sausage, but they just put curry powder and ketchup on top. HA HA! He still liked it.

5 comments:

Genean said...

I can't believe you guys actually eat wienerschnitzel!

Cristy said...

Ooooo... an extra large Chess board!!! I love Chess, and yes, if they had had a Chess Club in High School, I would have been the captain.

And the sausage... hmm.... right up there with Mulione for me!

Meredith said...

Hey--they have that exact same huge chess board in Geneva. It's exactly the same. Must be a Swiss/German thing.

I don't get why you had to leave Switzerland to get the visa. Sounds more complicated than the French...I had to go to San Fran and wait for a few hours to get mine. At least you only had to go 2.5 hrs away. I had to drive 13 hours.

Charlotta-love said...

There is a church in the area that has a huge chess board in the back. Don't know why but they do. It's totally fun to play on a board that size.

Jenny said...

So Alice let me guess about the visa
No why don't you write and explain.
I'm sure something similar has happened to us?? Can't imagine why???