If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Hair Conscious


OK so you all know that I am a natural blonde. Never dyed my hair. I prided myself on such healthy natural hair. Yup, until this summer when I got the "bright" idea to go dark. Why do I have to be so spontaneous and try new things that are permanent? I keep asking myself this question. Well I get bored. As an artist we like change.


Natural



Dye Job #1



After a couple of months I got bored again and decided (at the last minute) that I wanted to go back to blonde. So I went back to the hairdresser the day before we left California and he stripped my hair and tried to go back. Well it didn't really work. I hated it. It just isn't a good color for my complexion.

Attempt #1 to go back to natural



When I got here I browsed the hair dye section of the local supermarket. With the help of two knowledgeable woman and one translator we devised a plan. I tried it out on a hidden section of my hair and it turned out ok. Well then I tried my whole head.....dying your own hair is HARD and tedious.

Bleach Part 1



Bleach Part 2



Here's where I toned it. I guess I need to try a darker color. Anyhow, Jared's pretty excited about it and I don't feel like dealing with it until next week. I'm digging it for a while. I promise I'm not trying to look like you Amanda (the ultimate and best looking platinum blonde.)


The story is not over. It will be continued. I thought about resorting to shaving my head but then thought, winter is coming and that might be too cold. I would appreciate any of your dye horror stories and moral support.

11 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

I like the first picture (bleach part 1) and the last one. I have to say though, you look great blonde and burnette. Lucky you!

I tried to go blonde once and I ended up with an orangish color instead. :o(

Jenna said...

Alice -

I am so glad you posted pictures of the most recent hair color. The platinum is sassy! I love it!

bex said...

going from light to dark = easy. the other way around? not so much, huh? I was hoping you would be one of us brunettes for just a little longer ... but the homemade blonde isn't bad either.

Tanya D said...

I share your hair-dye woes. Dark to blonde is hard but staying red might be harder. I spent 3 years repeatedly dying my hair every 6 weeks a different shade/brands of red. I wanted fire-engine red but it always faded after 3-4 weeks to a weirdo pink or strawberry blonde or muddy orange or flat auburn. It was maddening. I also had two years of platinum, which required bleaching my blonde roots every 4 weeks because they looked positively black against the super blonde. That bleach burns!!! Now I'm lazy and barely make the time to brush my hair. But I still have a collection of wigs if I need to mix it up.

Cristy said...

Ah, hair dye, a vicious cycle! I too always prided myself on my natural blondness, until I streaked it after I got married (I think it's a post-marriage phase thing) and now can't stop! Good luck! Whatever the color, you look in awesome in all the picks! I love your haircut!

m-l-e said...

well the reason i am able to give you such thorough tips (and warnings) is due to an awesome decision at 11 pm the last night of finals (and 36 hours before I moved to Italy) to put quick blue in my hair to go really blond. or rather really grossly orange. so i feel your pain. good luck!

teacherofart said...

I think they all look good. I was anticipating something really bad and I'm dissapointed that it wasn't.

Pam said...

If you shave your head, I'll definitely make you hat to keep you warm. Come on, it'll grow back.

kim said...

I've always wanted to shave my head, but never been brave enough (and I worry that my hair really does grow slowly and I might never get it back.)

I think it looks good how it is now.

Meredith said...

Alice, one thing you have going for you is that in Europe it not abnormal to see some pretty funky hats around wintertime...Oh, if you were in France, I would suggest that you streak your hair that reddish-purple color (all French women do that around Christmas time, I can't figure out why...)

Remind me to tell you about the time that the hairdresser thought I would make a really great strawberry blonde. Bad idea. It was orange and had to be completely bleached so I got to look like an albino for my first semester at BYU. Grrr.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

i really liked the brown, but it is fun to see your blonde evolution!