If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sigur Rós

Last night Jared and I got to see Sigur Rós play. They are the best thing to come out of Iceland...well besides Björk. I've been wanting to see them play ever since being introduced to them by a friend while I was an art student in college. Despite standing under a cloud of smoke, (I predict half of Switzerland will be dead in 10 years from lung cancer of heart disease, this is something I really can't tolerate) we enjoyed the show which was opened up by Helgi Jonssom who I liked. Sigur Rós' music just overwhelms you with a emotion and transports you to another world, a more pleasant world. The highlight was when the small band came out across the stage in marching band style. I loved it.

And then I spent the 2nd half of the concert worrying about people walking through the barf in the corner of the room. Y'know, I haven't been to a concert in a long time. The last one I can remember is when I went to see Death Cab for Cutie and the White Stripes and I had to crowd surf (always a fun thing) to get out of the mass in the middle, well my pants ended staying with the crowd while I got out, (I got them back, thank goodness) and I really hoped that I didn't know anyone in the audience. Low and behold come Monday morning I hear "Ms. >>>>>> yelling from down the hall. We saw you crowd surfing at the concert." Yup, apparently two of my students were there. Good thing they were girls. We still laugh about it today.

Here are two of my favorite Sigur Rós songs:





And this is probably their most famous song. They opened with it and it was incredible:



Here's another great song starting out with a brief interview:



We're going to see them again: Oct. 3rd Greek Theater, Berkeley. Get your tickets if you want to join us:)

7 comments:

Meredith said...

Those videos were incredible.

Betsy said...

I've seen them a couple of times and their live shows rank in the top 5 of my all time favorite live shows ever. It's like theater. We're going to see them in Berkeley on October 3rd...you should buy tickets and come with!

m-l-e said...

i've never loved t hem. i will try a-gain.. thanks to you

Pete Rugh said...

Wouldn't the term "most famous" imply that they have other songs that are famous? J slash k. Sigur Rós is so money it doesn't even know how money it is.

-Pete

brooklyn said...

i've always really wanted to like them, but my blood just doesn't flow that slow...although i like low...so i should be able to cross over...

glad you love it.

Laurie said...

Yeah, once again I just have to think about how boring I am. And how not boring you are. I wish I were not boring. :)

Jill said...

so i thought, "if they're going to be in the bay area, they might be having an la show." sure enough, at the greek in la, on oct. 3rd. i'm so glad that you blogged about them. just as you said, emotional. thought provoking. i'm excited!