If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Spectacular Weekend in Zermatt

Ever since I can remember there has been a photo of the Matterhorn up in my Dad's library at home. He always had a dream of visiting the Matterhorn in Zermatt, Switzerland but never made it before her died. Most people know the Matterhorn as a ride at Disneyland, and come to think of it, that just might be another reason why my Dad liked D-land so much. This weekend my mother, Jared and I took a beautiful train ride to Zermatt in honor of my father because this is his birthday weekend and favorite time of year because it's also the longest day of the year. After months of rain we were fortunate to have the most amazing weather.

We stayed in the cutest hotel. Le Petit Hotel. We didn't even have to fork over 5,000 CHF for a view of the Matterhorn outside our window.

(For your information, in these photos the sky was really that blue.)






We took the Gornergratbahn up to Gornergrat for spectacular views of the Matterhorn and surrounding beautiness.


SO CUTE! SO BIG!





My beautiful mother.





Glacier water. Oh and the water in Zermatt was sooo good and ice cold straight from the tap.



I really love my husband.




In the little church we lit a candle for my Dad...



...apart from the crowd because that's what he liked...to be left in peace.



Clearly something was put on that post so the mountain goat would come lick it for the tourist. I've hike with real mountain goats in Washington and they've got better things to do.



Some other mountains...whatever.






Jared has a bum knee right now so he iced it in the snow.


Beautiful alpine blue flowers.






OK, so this bird is currently eating a crepe that is my Mom's. She didn't get to finish it because it swooped down from the sky and took it out of her hand as she was about to take a bite. I didn't see it because I was taking a photo but I did hear the fluttering wings by my ear. A squirrel did that to me once when I was hiking Half Dome. Except it was a sandwich sitting on my knee. I was annoyed.



Later in the afternoon we took a funicular up another mountain to get an alternate view of it. So, most of the weekend was spent staring at the Matterhorn.







We couldn't hike up the mountain because of Jared's knee, but if we did I bet we'd get a thumbs up to climb the Matterhorn.



I think they meant "Goggles" not "Googles".


A shot before dinner...




...and after...



...and in the morning from our rooftop.



Some facts about the Matterhorn:
-14 691.601 feet
- On average 3 people die a year climbing it and someone has died each year since 1961.
-Woman used to climb it in their skirts
-There was a Swiss guide who had climbed it over 370 times, his last time being at the age of 95...he died in 2004...not while climbing the mountain.


More Amazing photos...I took a lot.

9 comments:

La Asistente said...

Alice Blue,

So nice to see you celebrate your father's life in such a unique way. Thanks for sharing those moments with all of us!

Wow, the Matterhorn is impressive, especially up close and personal...

Kaye Paugh said...

I love these pictures! What a perfect way to celebrate Richard's birthday. Gorgeous views and gorgeous people in every light! Love to all, Kaye

Laura Gunn Studio said...

What a perfect adventure. Your mom looks so beautiful. How nice that she could come out and see you. I hope George gets out there before you head home.

Pam said...

There are two people in life that look younger each time I see them, my aunt Cecil and your mom. Everybody else in the world ages at least a little.

Gweneth said...

This is the best "tour" I've ever had of the Matterhorn and Zermatt. Next to being there myself, this was such a treat. Your photos are great; the mountain came out of the clouds just for you and your dad and mom, for sure!

You and your husband look very happy. I'm so glad for you.

Thanks for the "tour" and if I never get there myself, I will remember and appreciate your blog!

Gwen Edmunds

kim said...

I think that is an awesome way to celebrate your dad and his life! Makes me want to do a hike each year for my dad--maybe someday we can do Mt. Whitney together for the two of them :)

And I have to agree with the comments about your mom--she looks fabulous!

darcie said...

do they really still use st. bernards for rescue?

brooklyn said...

beautiful beautiful pictures!!!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

wow, what beautiful images, what a fantastic day to go. I love the shot of your back to the camera and jared delicately placing his arm around your very slender waiste while you look through the binoculars. I love that you had your personal photographer for a while. what a mom she is.