If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Monday, March 16, 2009

Old vs. New

My mom bought a new Apple laptop. It's so sleek! Her's is on the left. Ours is on the right. It's been through a lot. We have the older version of the Macbook Pro. It was Jared's old work computer from Google. I like our keyboard better.



One day about 4 years ago Jared set the laptop on top of his car after work. He drove off with it still there. So, they are both silver and it was probably a long day at work so who could blame him for forgetting. Anyhow, he drove over the freeway and did a loop (about a mile) and then it flew off. Since he had shut it down, the hard drive was intact and it STILL WORKS!

(notice the nice shots of my mom;)



My mom's has a nice internal magnet for it to stay closed. Ours doesn't close. You have to set something on it or lie it upside down. But if you lay it upside down the power cord doesn't really work...it got dropped while watching a movie on it in Austria. We had it propped on a garbage can...



You can't put cd's into it. But you can get the internet!



It is slowly dying, we can't bring ourselves to pull money out of savings to buy a new one...since we do have a desktop. My mom's probably weighs about 5 lbs less.


Google didn't want it back when Jared left....I wonder why;)

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh wow. Great story of laptop survival.

I laughed at that part about the power cord because ours is doing the exact same thing. I took it to school the other day and my students were looking at it like it was an antique. They were like, "What is that? Is that an apple laptop? Weird. I've never seen one of those before." Honestly, this was perhaps my first experience of really feeling old (and the laptop is only a few years old!!). Oh well.

La Asistente said...

Isn't it amazing that our laptops survive in spite of the people who use them. Great story.

Cristy said...

WA HAhahahaha... that is my favorite blog post of the year! Maybe it's because I'm a Mac person, maybe it's because this would make a good short film... awesome.

Way to read to the little guy too!

Meredith said...

And Meredith forgot to mention a couple things about ours. We bought a month after we got married and thought that it was the coolest thing. I think the first movie we watched on it was Cyrano De Bergerac. Awesome movie! The translation isn't good. Watch Roxanne with Steve Martin instead. Same idea! So, we cannot unplug ours or it dies in less than 5 minutes. I also dropped it a month ago and the plug outlet looks messed up, but it still works...kind of. We got an Apple desktop January 2008 and cannot use our savings either for a new laptop. Let's open a Mac retirement home! Baptiste