If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Puzzle vs. Squash

I know this is going to sound really exciting, but my family used to have a puzzle going during the holidays so Jared and I bought one yesterday to start. (We have to eat our dinner standing up since the puzzle has overtaken the kitchen table.)



This is a good season for Squash so I've been cooking several recipes with it. This turned out yummy. I added an onion and some leftover zucchini from the stuffed peppers and a yellow pepper from my fridge that was about to die to the recipe and I recommend it. It was juicy and very flavorful.


Pears are also in season so I whipped up a pear tart (puffed pastry came from the store.) I whipped together a bit of butter and some cream cheese along with some fresh apple juice from the market on Tuesday which I think is starting to ferment. I threw in some cinnamon and grated some nutmeg into the mix. Then I spread it evenly on the pastry and swirled honey over the pears and grated a bit more nutmeg. I cooked it on 175 C for who knows how long. I kept adding minutes to the timer when I saw that it was golden yet.

Pre-Baked.


Fresh out of the oven. Not sure if it's good yet though. Haven't tried it yet.



BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND RED PEPPER CASSEROLE
3 1/2 pounds butternut squash
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary leaves
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan (about 2 ounces)
Preheat oven to 400°F.

With a sharp knife cut squash crosswise into 2-inch-thick slices. Working with 1 slice at a time, cut side down, cut away peel and seeds and cut squash into 1-inch cubes (about 9 cups).

In a large bowl stir together squash, bell pepper, oil, garlic, herbs, black pepper, and salt to taste. Transfer mixture to a 2- to 2 1/2-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish and sprinkle evenly with Parmesan.

Bake casserole in middle of oven until squash is tender and top is golden, about 1 hour.

5 comments:

Clair said...

hey girl! So guess what?! I was a photographer for a wedding in downtown Atlanta this past weekend and guess who tapped me on the shoulder? Dave Cashman! haha...I hadn't seen him in 10 years. Crazy. Anyway, we caught up a bit and both mentioned how awesome it is that you're living in Zurich. Made me think back to all the craziness of freshman year. haha.

Jared said...

The pear tart was de-lish-ous! Better than chocolate, even. And that means a lot coming from me.

Francesca Giessmann said...

we love puzzles here! and I LOVE squash!

Charlotta-love said...

I'm glad you post your recipes. I have been cooking lots of dishes with squash. I'll have to try this version.

Staci said...

Oh wow, Al, you make some pretty good-looking stuff.