If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Visa Versa

So, I went grocery shopping today.  I bought 6 bags of groceries...(I brought my own thank you very much.)  This is probably a months worth.  Why did I do it?  Because I CAN!  Just check out our GINORMOUS fridge.  Lately I've bene a bit overwhelmed by American grocery stores and have been feeling weird when I go a week without entering one.  Just the choices of the different varieties of mustards have just blown my mind, and the shopping carts are HUMUNGOUS! 

Anyhow, our fridge was so empty, and the cupboards were bare, I decided it was time to take the plunge.  I made a list and was just going to do 5 days worth.  I planned out the meals, well the first stop was Trader Joes.  I got carried away.  I just loaded up the cart until it was full.  I bought 4 containers of plain yogurt because Jared loves it and I know it won't go bad so fast.  (things in Europe don't have as many preservatives, thus they go bad pretty fast, I couldn't believe we got through an entire thing of lettuce before it went bad.)  Plus, the store isn't just down the street anymore. (well there is one but it's heavily overpriced) I decided, what the heck, I'll just take the plunge.

Next stop Safeway.  For basics like flour and baking powder (darn forgot to get butter.)   Well, I'm making spaghetti sauce, (double darn I forgot to get tomatoe sauce, ARGH!) and I wanted to get some saffron.  In Swiss Francs I could buy several strands for about 5 francs.  HERE IT WAS $15.  I shipped all my spices home because they were on average 1-2 Sfr (Sfr~ equal to USD)  Here spices are ~ $5-6 dollars for a teeny tiny jar.  Oh I wish our air shipment would get here sooner.  Why are spices so much here?  Because they have to travel far?  Or is there just not a high demand for them in Switzerland and that's why most of the food tasted so bland? 

I usually don't write this much in one post.

My shaving cream costs ~5 Sfr in Suisse.  Here it's $1.67 at Target.  Why not use soap you ask?  Would a man use soap to shave his face?  Well, I have the most sensitive skin on the planet and know what works for me.

On another note, the seatbelt signal kept beeping at me on the way home from the store because my groceries were in the front seat.  Do I need tot buckle them in?  Apparently.

7 comments:

Meredith said...

Costco saffron is the world's best kept saffron secret.

Huge jar. Super cheap.

I love saffron and all recipes that require saffron :)

Maybe it's the color?

MW said...

I've been noticing the little differences here too. What costs more, what costs less. And also that we can't buy too much of anything at a time. We already didn't get through a mozzarella before it started going bad. Which for us is just crazy.

Amy McCown said...

I am living vicariously through you right now. Not having to go to the grocery store for a week sounds heavenly. Where did you buy your saffron? The stuff I bought was not that cheap.

blueeyedfreckle said...

You are hilarious! It IS weird the way prices differ in certain areas of the world... how lucky that spices were cheap in Switzerland. You need to start growing your own! And that is great that your car actually thought your groceries were a person:)

Amy said...

Welcome back to the land of Super-Size!

kim said...

I can never make it out of Trader Joes without a full basket. And even though I say the food is going to last more than a week, I still find myself going back every single week. I guess the rest is food storage.

Julie said...

Ahh....I am so jealous! It is huge!! I have forgotten they make fridges like that!!! Fill it with lots of yummy things for me!!!