If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thank goodness for a sister named Emma

As soon as we got home from the hospital my mother has been helping every second of the day. Doing laundry, burping Finn, preparing delicious dishes, buying groceries...you name it, she's done it. I don't know how people have babies without my mother's help...or their own for that matter. She even slept with Finn in her own bed getting him to sleep longer, and confirmed that yes, he is a noisy sleeper. The kid talks in his sleep. We have to put him around the corner in the bathroom/vanity area and drown out his noises with the fan. I went through a bit of separation anxiety not having him next to for the first few nights...I still jump up to check if he is breathing. And yes, Jared that was my hand on your chest last night, I still occasionally check to see if you're breathing also.

My sister Emma came out to visit last week to help out with Finn and in general get some baby time. She was there on cue ready to burp Finn or give me some rest. She also taught me several things about getting him on a good sleep schedule and the importance of swaddling.

Thank heavens for a sister who forged her way into motherhood before I did.




As a bonus she brought this little guy for lots of entertainment. I sure do wish they lived closer. My favorite part was when he was trying to pawn off his stinkiness onto Finn. Me, "Hudson, are you stinky?" Hudson, "noooo, I think maybe it's baby Finn:)" Nice try kiddo.

6 comments:

La Asistente said...

Wow, H. is growing taller!

Meredith said...

That is so nice that your mom and sister have been helping you!

You're not the only one who checks to see if others are breathing. I do the same thing...even to the little cat that sleeps on the foot of our bed :)

Katie said...

Sisters are the best!

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

i wish i had an older sister to forge the way! fun times you've had.

The Bec-ster said...

I'm so glad you have support from family. So many people give advice so here is mine...Hear them out and take what you need while leaving the rest! Someone told me that when I had my first and I leaned to graciously smile while strangers told me how to raise my child. I did gleam some important things about child raising but I also learned that I was a good mom and could figure it out alone. You are a great mom too!! So don't get discouraged when all the help goes home! YOu can do it!!!

Emma said...

thanks for the post. It was a pleasure to hang out with you and Finn. He is one funny little guy. Can't wait to see how his personality develops.