If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

My first roast

I made my first roast. With tips from my mother and finding the right meat (thanks Tanya) and chopped up the vegetables and slapped it in the oven for severals hours. I'm reading this book right now which takes place in the 50's and I thought it would be funny to play 50's housewife and dress up for dinner!


(O.K. awkward photo because I don't have my nice tripod with me and a remote to focus. But you get the idea.)



Oh was it ever delicious!



All I was missing was either a Jello salad or yellow cake with chocolate frosting;)


Recipe:
brown beef chuck or brisket (seidfleisch if in Switzerland) with the onions in vegetable oil in a pan. Then transfer to casserole dish. (I didn't have one so used a high sided metal pan and covered tightly with foil, I left all of my kitchenware along with everything else in the states.)
Cut up carrots and garlic and throw in the dish. Throw in some water, a bit of tomato sauce and as much red wine as you want. Salt and pepper it. Cook at 250-300°F (140-150°C) for at least 3 hours.

Side note: If you have a smaller pan so the meat is submerged in the liquid I think that is better. Mine wasn't completely submerged. You can also add other vegetables like potatoes or winter squash could be good! Also, herbs would taste good. I was going to add oregano but forgot.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

If I were to come visit you in Zurich, while I'm over London...what airport would I fly into? And, can I come visit? Or, maybe you should come visit me...or both. Anyway, I think you should email me your response, it's my first and last name(one word) at gmail. Thanks!

blueeyedfreckle said...

So I realized that I had not checked your blog in forever, and wow, there was a lot to catch up on! First, the construction sounds like a nightmare that I would probably whine about everyday, Second, you make an adorable 50's housewife, third, I never knew that they modeled the Disney castle after a real one, Fourth, you are an illegal immigrant in Switzerland right now? Fifth, I had heard that google was the coolest place to work, and now I believe it. Sixth, do you guys do something cool every weekend????? So jealous.

Julie said...

LOVE your dress!! Now wonder I eat so many desserts- I'm only ridding myself of stress :)