If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Monday, August 27, 2007

Do it yourself and save money!

My right rear blinker went out in my car. No big deal right? Go down to your local auto shop (Kragen) and buy a new light bulb. Well, it wasn't that easy. The bulb came out but the base was fused into the container/housing. I couldn't get it out. Neither could the nice guy at Kragen. He said I'd have to replace the whole assembly, and that I need to go to the dealer for the part. THE DEALER!!!!!!! I can't stand the dealer. They're so dang dishonest and thieves. I looked online for the part that I needed. It was going to cost ~$125. "NO WAY," I thought. Two things I always carry mandatory in my car are WD-40 and Duct take. So I sprayed the two fused pieces of metal together with some WD-40 on Saturday.


Then today I headed down to the garage with some needle nose pliers and pried the bulb base out. It took some work but it fixed the problem. Now $125 turned into $4 of light bulbs, and do-it-yourself!


Since I've been so tired of my car breaking down on me...(especially on the freeway) I told Jared that when we return from Switzerland I would like to take an auto mechanics class. Or just buy a car that never breaks down.

1 comment:

Cristy said...

Yay, last weekend we almost paid $400 for a new starter on my lovely, air conditioning broke, door handles fallling off, plethor seats coming apart at the seams, Blazer, but my man stormed out to the car in a fit of manliness, and cleaned some wires and viola! It was fixed! Holla! I defintely like the duct tape ini the car idea.....