If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I can't wait to be a MOM!

So growing up I LOVED to play with my brother Sam and his G.I. Joe and Star Wars figures. When he was sick I would pretend I was sick also so we could play, and visa versa. HOWEVER...I love my dolls. I had 8 that I raised, including the one I adopted from my sister because I didn't think that propping your doll up on the bed all day constituted suitable motherhood. (Don't worry she's a fantastic mother now.)

When I was 20 mos. old and they brought my younger brother Sam home the first thing I said was, "That's my dolly."



I was one of those fortunate kids (and rather spoiled come to think of it) to own several cabbage patch dolls. I even had the preemie one with the mini bassinet and stroller.
Oh how I loved my babies. I fed them, changed their diapers and clothes and even put them to bed, all lined up in my bed, where there was barely enough room for me:)
My main dolls were Matthew, Miles, Brandon (the preemie) and Gracie (my sisters.) My other dolls were non-cabbage patch dolls who I loved just as much even thought I can't remember their names.
Here I am with a generic Cabbage Patch Kid which my mom called "their cousin." I totally fell for it. Her name was Jessica. She didn't have a full head of hair and her face was different. Besides, I mean pink hair. That's not natural for a kid.




OK, my brother Sam was the cutest kid ever.



This is Matthew and I. He had a tooth, so cute! No wonder I want a boy so much, I raised 3 of them already.




Here I am with a "real" baby. Whenever someone came to visit with a baby I just couldn't get enough.



Even better, TWINS!


Fascinated with how small her feet are.


So the other day as I was buying our stroller (I wanted to put my $200 REI dividend towards one before it ran out at the end of the year) I was thinking how I can't wait to push MY OWN BABY in MY OWN STROLLER. I've been pushing other people's kids around for years. Now I get a turn:)

11 comments:

bug girl said...

These pictures transported me back to another time and place. They are AWESOME.

Sam really was the cutest kid EVER, which must have been part of the reason he was my "best buddy".

You are going to be one of those mom's who lose half the day to staring at their baby's feet and hands and eyes and noses. How fun.

Megan said...

Aww I am so excited for you Alice, you are going to be a wonderful Mom. You think you loved Mathew, wait until it is YOUR bundle of joy... completely indescribable. My word verification word is ANGSHED, in case you are looking for baby names.

kim said...

I'm really excited for you, too! I was not a doll person, or into people's babies at all--in fact, I was worried about what I was going to do with my babies until they got old enough to actually "do" something, but I've been pleasantly shocked at how much I've LOVED my babies (and the being able to "do" something is highly overrated! Causes a lot more stress :)), so I'm sure that as someone who actually loves other people's babies, you are going to be over the top about your own!

Cristy said...

OK that first pic of you and that baby is so stinkin adorable! I love how old photos used to have a red hint to them... and the fact that you had an Ansel Adams poster on your wall growing up! Anyway, you are going to be the best Mom ever! I am so excited that you are so excited! It really is awesome to be a Mom.

Emma said...

Wonderful post Alice. I'm so glad you will soon get to cuddle and kiss a baby of your own!

Laura said...

I had 4 cabbage patch kids, but I think you took way better care of yours. Fabulous mom for years in the making.

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

I am so excited for you, it is amazing to be a mother. I am shocked that you know how many dolls you had, know their names, etc. Wow. When I was pregnant with Tyler, I was addicted to pictures of babies, so I tore cute pics out of magazines and made a collage in the wall of the soon to be baby room. I wanna see your stroller! (I love that you remember CW's apron, and Jed did get married. I try to send cards to him, but don't hear back, so not sure he gets them).

Pam said...

My word verification is Glynossa...a beautiful name.

Don't laugh at me, but I have to ask, because I can't tell... Are those my little brothers?

Laurie said...

So, so excited for you! You're going to be a fantastic mother, and you will have so much fun!

Amy said...

love the old pictures! Sounds like you've had years of practice with babies and you are all ready for the real deal. I was not a doll person or into babies but fortunately there is something about the fruit of your own womb that surpasses the coolest of Cabbage Patch dolls and the cutest of other people's babies. you're gonna love it!

blueeyedfreckle said...

love this! You are/were hilarious with all the baby raising when you were just a kid yourself! ha! I love that you had to adopt your sister's doll too. That's pretty darn cute:) I am sure your kids are going to have a fabulous life with their hip, artsy, loving mom!