If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Monday, February 9, 2009

30 is the new 25

I wasn't too wild about the idea of turning 30. I'm also tired of people telling me that your 30's are the best time of your life. Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news to all you people who are just fooling yourself, that the 20's are the prime.

I've decided that I had some good times in my 20's. I got a BA in Visual Arts, survived a crazy car crash where my car flipped in the air 3 times. I've done several triathlons, swam from Alcatraz twice and traveled all over the world (which won't end) to Australia, New Zealand, Tonga, France, England, Ghana, Tanzania, Kenya, Zanzibar, Croatia, Czech Republic, Italy, Austria, Germany and lived a year in Switzerland. Plus I've climbed Kilimanjaro. There are still many countries and states to visit. I still haven't bungee jumped down Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. Most importantly I met my love in my 20's who I am so happy to share the rest of my life and beyond with.

Anyhow, Jared threw me a nice party with YELLOW, AQUA and stars. I didn't get many shots because I was enjoying the company of some close friends.










11 comments:

Emma said...

don't pass judgement on your 30's just yet....way better than 20's in my book. welcome to this great decade!

Sarah said...

here's my thing - when I turned 20, the coming decade held a lot of unknowns. i figured i'd graduate college, get a job, maybe get married, maybe have kids, maybe buy a house, maybe maybe maybe. i wondered what kind of an adult i'd be. what things i would be doing. what would make me happy. when i turned 30, most of those questions had been answered. when i turned 30 i was much more comfortable with who i was, what i was doing, and what my future plans were. i guess they were more concrete. i had a wonderful husband and some pretty fabulous kids and i felt happy to be me. and now this decade feels more like it's about me growing not into myself (since that what my 20s felt like), but beyond what i had imagined. that might sound trite, but i'm ok with that. happy birthday.

brooklyn said...

happy birthday alice! so glad you had a good party (and decade!)

Robert said...

Happy Birfday Alice!!!

Cristy said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALICE! I loved my twenties, and hope that my thirties will be just as great! (YOU sure did a lot in your 20s!!) You look BEAUTIFUL in the blue dress!

Meredith said...

Happy Birthday!

I'm totally looking forward to the 30s. You and I took two trips together during our 20s (South Pacific and Paris). We need to do AT LEAST that many during our 30s!

:)

The Erickson Family said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALICE! I don't know that the thirties will be as busy as my twenties but I hope they are just as fun. You are so beautiful. I can't wait for the little one to arrive for you.-Julia

Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke said...

I was thinking about you on your birthday...did I send you a message like I planned on? Fun to see all the places you traveled, and I never heard about that crazy car crash. You will always remember your 30th year, because it will be the year you became a mother.

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

What a fun celebration! Knowing you, you will love your thirties because you do so many fun and amazing things! I'm sure that will never stop!

Oh, and I've always wanted to hike Kilimanjaro

Laurie said...

I'm kind of freaking out about turning 30 this year too {Happy Belated Birthday, btw!}, and you could be right about all of it. Holy smokes, you've really lived life this decade! I'm so impressed {and feeling more than a little like a homely slug}.